Travel Vaccinations

Many common illnesses are preventable and you should obtain information about staying healthy abroad by making an appointment with the Practice Nurse and visiting one of the websites below. It is also worth contacting the Foreign Office (see Useful Resources below) to check whether there are any advisory restrictions regarding the countries you are visiting.


The practice has up to date vaccination advice for travellers. The practice uses the most up to date recommendations regarding health needs for foreign destinations.

You should allow two months to complete any course of injections, which the Nurses will give you, although it can be carried out more quickly if necessary.

Click here to download our travel questionnaire.

Travel Fees

Vaccination Costs

As a Practice we are providing this additional service which, at the moment, we do not charge for. A Charge is made for certain travel vaccinations which are not part of NHS Service. You will be asked to pay for the cost of the vaccination at the time it is given. Once payment is received, you will receive your vaccination certificate. Please ask at Reception for current costs.


You may need these depending on the countries to be visited and the time of year. The more detail you are able to give about the parts of each country you are going to visit and the time of year, the more accurately we can advise you regarding the anti-malarials you need.

These are not available on an NHS prescription. Some anti-malarials can be bought from a chemist without a prescription, whilst others require a private prescription.

EHIC (European Health Insurance Card)

Travellers to countries within the European union (EU) should obtain a EHIC prior to travel to reduce medical costs incurred in a EU country. These are available free on-line from the Department of Health website. 


We strongly advise that you take out adequate travel insurance for your journey. It is important that you inform the insurance company of any medical conditions you have, otherwise your insurance may be invalid.

Fitness to fly / travel

If you are uncertain whether you are fit to fly, please make an appointment with one of the doctors. There will be a charge if a certificate needs to be issued or an examination carried out. Alternatively, some airlines have medical officers who can advise on your fitness to fly.

Useful resources

Fit for travel:

Foreign and commonwealth office:

Department of Health Advice for Travellers:

British Airways Travel Advice


There is further information about countries and vaccinations required on the links below: 

Europe Europe & Russia North America North America
Central America Central America South America South America
Caribbean Caribbean Africa Africa
Middle East Middle East Central Asia Central Asia
East Asia East Asia Australasia Australasia and Pacific
NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website